How to Access Care Home Funding

How do I access care home funding?

Local Authority contributions towards the weekly fees: the individual or their representative should contact their own local authority to request an assessment. This will include both the social/health care need together with a financial means-test.

NHS Continuing Healthcare (CHC): the Primary Care Trust via your family GP is a good place to start. Be prepared for a fairly lengthy and in-depth needs led process.  A person’s finances aren’t included in this assessment.

Funded Nursing Care (FNC): the manager of the care home is usually the best person to instigate the application although they are not involved in the process. As with CHC funding, an individual’s financial circumstances aren’t relevant to the outcome.

Personal Care (Scotland only): applications should be made to the local authority.

Attendance Allowance: the person needing care or their representative needs to contact the helpline centre on 0800 731 0122 to request an application form or print one off from the government website. If you request one over the phone, it will arrive through the post with notes on how it should be completed. We have more guidance on how to complete the Attendance allowance form and eligibility here.

Personal Independence Payment:  the person needing care or their representative needs to contact the government helpline centre on 0800 917 2222 to request an application form. It will arrive through the post with notes on how it should be completed.

Advice about paying for care

It’s important to get professional advice on the best way to fund the cost of care and we suggest that you take advice from a care fees expert to make sure that you have explored all the options available to you.

In order to make life easier we have contacted a national care fees planning specialist, Symponia, who are dedicated to the financial issues of later life, in particular the payment of care fees. Read more about how Symponia can help you and download their helpful handbook.

All information contained in this page was correct as at 27/02/24*

How to access care home funding

You may also be interested in

Different ways of paying for care

What is CHC funding?

What are top-up fees?

What is FNC funded nursing care?

Financial FAQs

Different types of funding available

Am I eligible for Attendance Allowance?

How to fill in the Attendance Allowance form

Get in touch

If you have any questions about care options available or if you require help or further information, please contact us using our contact form.

    By submitting your information, you agree to send it to Four Seasons Health Care Group who will process it and use it according to our privacy policy.